Are you looking for Java PDF Libraries to automate PDF creation and manipulation? This article will give you an overview of 7 best Java PDF Libraries of the current time.
These Java PDF libraries are not only useful for PDF creation and manipulation programmatic. But sometimes when we need to pull the data out from PDF. Actually, PDF is unstructured data. When you need to extract the data out of it, You need to perform the basic operation like line by line reading text or page by page etc. To perform such basic operations these Java PDF Libraries and Utility are important.
Best Java PDF Libraries :
Here is the list of Top 7 Java PDF Libraries. Actually every other has its own feature and specification so before choosing any of them. Please read the below description.
If you are looking for making automation in documentation and Reporting. PDF is the best format. IText designs for Java and.Net developer for PDF processing and related operation. Here is the link to IText Developer page .
2. Java PDF Library
Apache PDFBox API is open source. It gives the utility to java developers for – Extracting Text, Splitting and merging PDF documents, save as Images and signing the PDF and much more. Here is the quick link for downloading Apache PDFbox .
It’s a java package. gnujpdf will also help you in creating PDF using the Java AWT subclass. The Interesting fact about it is -” GNUJPDF is a modified version of ‘retepPDF’ “.It has LGPL License. For more detail on gnujpdf visit gnujpdf api details page.
PDF Clown is an open source PDF processing in Java and.Net based Library. Download PDF Clown from here . It makes PDF rendering and styling hassle-free for you.
6. Apache FOP
FOP is a Formatting Objects Processor. It’s a generalized API. I mean it’s not only PDF specific. Actually, it can generate multiple format outputs. As an input, it takes or reads the Formatting Object tree. You can download Apache FOP from here.
7. OpenPDF –
It is a newly emerging java library. It also comes with LGPL and MPL open source licenses. This OpenPDF library is iText source successor. Hence it has a high-performance pdf library.
java PDF library for Reporting –
Reports are a little different than general PDFs. Reports are quite tabular in nature. Hence this section will add some java Pdf libraries for Reporting.
3 Tips before choosing any Java PDF Library –
- make sure the license condition is aligned with your product or feature usages. Some time free words tagged on librarians confuses the developer. Actually Most of the time, free words are associated with non-commercial uses. So please check before choosing any of the Java PDF Library. Otherwise, you do some code on top of it. After some time you come to know it’s not License Friendly. Then you have to replace it. To avoid such a situation is better.
- Do a little proof of Concept on each functionality which you need to achieve using these APIs. Because Most of the time, It is recommended that we should use a single API for a specific purpose. For example, If you choose some java PDF Library that supports 8 features where you need 10. Therefore to achieve the rest two features we need to add another third-party API.So to avoid such a situation we should first list down our specific requirements from that API. Then we should do small unit testing on that feature. Once all is done then we should go finalize that Java PDF Library for the product.
- Good Documentation. Never choose any API which has low-quality documentation.
Notes for Developer while using Java PDF Library-
The most common mistake which puzzles the beginners in PDF processing is managing locks on the file. Here I am not very specific with PDF files. It usually happens with every type of file processing. Actually, when you use any framework, you just call the function already defined into it. Usually, the code flow is designed in such a way that it auto handles the lock management. Still, be careful. If you apply the lock anywhere manual, free it when you are done.
Otherwise, Java Virtual Machine holds the file and you will be unable to move it until the program is terminated.
Other Learning Resources( Must Read is Interested in Data Science using Java) –
If you are a java developer and want to be a data scientist, Please read the article –
Once you read this article you will come to know what else requires to change your profile in Data Science.
There could be many aspects to why PDF and its processing is important for a data scientist. First of all its business aspect is,” It is mostly preferred by all types of organization for reporting”.All financial institution or any private or government organization report their financial position at certain to any regulatory at a certain time period. It has two ends. The first is Report creation and the Second is extracting the data from it.
Anyways It was not only the case. There are so many others. Just my Intent is to make you aware of PDF Libraries in general programming Although If we look at the technical side for using PDF as a preferred format. PDF full form is Portable Document Format. This portable feature makes the documentation distribution uniform across all platforms.
So How did you find the article “Top 7 Java PDF Libraries: Must Read for Data Scientist”. If you have any suggestions on JAVA PDF LIBRARIES. Feel free to contact us or comment below.
Data Science Learner Team
1. Which are the best data science courses on Udemy?
Many readers of our data science learners have asked about the best data sciences courses on udemy. So We here comes the answer.
These are the list of the best data science courses.
- The Data Science Course 2021: Complete Data Science Bootcamp
- 40 Real World Data Science, Machine Learning Projects 2021
If you are a completely new beginner then go for this course.
Being a student, if you ever need java homework help from coding experts, please get in touch with cwassignments professional service.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.